Inspired by the Szechuan lettuce wraps at Chinese restaurants, this chicken lettuce wraps recipe has bold flavor and an irresistible crunch. Doused in a slightly spicy sauce, the filling is loaded with sweet bell peppers, snow pea pods, and shredded chicken. With fewer than 400 calories per serving, the protein-packed dish is an easy weeknight meal that tastes just as good the next day. (Hello, lunch leftovers!) Prefer to cut back on carbs or to follow a gluten-free diet? It’s a cinch to simply leave out the rice when assembling your wraps, or to use a tamari sauce in place of soy sauce.
Asian-Style Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
For the filling:
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup sliced peppers
1 cup sliced shitake mushrooms
1 cup snow pea pods, cut in half diagonally
2 cups shredded chicken
8 Chinese cabbage leaves, with the ribs cut out
2 cups cooked brown rice
For the sauce:
4 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari sauce)
4 tablespoons chicken broth
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1-2 teaspoons chili paste
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon arrowroot powder (cornstarch)
For the garnish:
Roasted peanuts, chopped
Green onions, thinly sliced
- Place coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add vegetables and sauté until tender.
- While vegetables are cooking, make sauce by combining soy sauce, chicken broth, rice vinegar, chili paste, honey, ginger and garlic cloves in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer for five minutes.
- Add in arrowroot powder to the sauce and whisk constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once vegetables are tender, add in shredded chicken. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables and mix everything together.
- To serve, take one cabbage leaf and spoon in a small amount of rice, then top with chicken and veggie mixture. Add additional sauce if desired.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts, cilantro and sliced green onions.
For more recipes form Alexa, visit Simple Roots Wellness.