Flexibility is the ability to stretch and bend your body without putting too much effort. This can be accomplished by having a regular exercise and also through yoga. Stretching exercises in Yoga are usually done to increase your flexibility.
Getting more flexible can be obtained best by performing different Yoga moves. Improving ones flexibility is one of the major benefits of Yoga. Flexibility exercises in yoga can help reduce muscle soreness, muscle tension and chances of injuries. Flexibility can be reached at any age. As long your exercises are done regularly and in the right manner.
Here are some Yoga moves or poses that can help you increase your flexibility:
- Spine-Trunk Turning.Stand straight with your legs apart. Put your hands behind your head and gently lean forward. Bring your right elbow in front to touch your left knee. That will rotate your trunk. Go back to normal position and perform it again, but this time with the other side.
- Spine Extension. Feet together and hands up. Begin to step one leg forward and slowly move the upper part of your body and head backwards. Return to your starting position and repeat with your other leg.
- Lateral-Spine Flexion. Legs apart and hands behind your head. Slowly bend your right elbow towards your right knee then repeat with the other side.
- Posterior Thigh Stretch. Try sitting on a bench when doing this exercise. Sit on a comfortable position. Raise your right leg straight on the table, while your left leg stays relaxed on the floor. Lean forward towards your right leg until you feel your knee and calf stretching. Hold that position for 30 seconds. Go back to original position and repeat with your left leg.
- Neck Stretch.Stand straight with your arms relaxing at the side of your body. Slowly turn your head towards your right shoulder and hold for a few seconds and then turn to the left side. Repeat this for 3 to 4 times.
- Tar Asana. Stand straight and feet together. Hands on your back. Inhale and raise your arms above your head. Hold your breath and lift your heels and stand on your toes. Make sure to keep your arms stretched and hold the pose for at least 10 seconds. Slowly exhale and go back to starting position. Repeat this asana for 3 times.
- Trikona Asana. Stand straight and feet apart. Stretch your arms along with your shoulders. Inhale and gently bend to your right. Put your right hand at your ankle and stretch your left arm upwards. Hold the pose for 10 seconds and go back to your original starting position. Relax for a few seconds and then repeat on the other side.
- Hala Asana. Lie down on a yoga mat and put your hands on the side of your body. Slowly inhale and raise your legs up to a 30 to 90 degree angle. Put them above your head. While exhaling, put your feet behind your head on the floor and hold for 5 seconds. Place your hands on your waist for support. Go back to original position and reverse the process.
- Janusar Asana. Sit down on a mattress with your legs stretched forward. Fold right leg and bring one foot near your inner thigh. Inhale and raise your arms. Bend on your left while exhaling. Hold your toes with your hands and put down your head slowly to your left knee. Stay in this position for about 10 seconds. Go back to starting position while inhaling. Repeat on the other side.
The good thing about yoga poses or moves, you can perform them anytime of the day. You should also enjoy yourself while performing Yoga styles for flexibility. Enjoying the exercise helps you lead to a successful yoga session. A regular exercise can achieve a person’s desired flexibility.